Volunteer of the Year
2016 Volunteer of the Year: Marvin Neukirch, Age 72, Topeka
Sunflower State Games Volunteer Activities:
5K/10K Cauldron Run (2016), Fishing Derby (2016), Slow-pitch Softball, Shooting, Fishing Derby, Basketball, Track and Field and Cycling. Marvin has been volunteering for SSG since the event moved to Topeka in 2002.
Why do you Volunteer for the Sunflower state games?
I think it is very important to give back to your community that gave you a good living. The Sunflower State Games highlights the Capital City, and gives athletes from ages 5 to 100 a chance to socialize and to take part in a competitive community activity. Even if you do not earn a medal, you have earned the respect of other participants and made self improvements.
What is your favorite aspect of Volunteering for SSG?
I have enjoyed all of the venues that I have volunteered for. Some maybe more than others, sitting on a county road waiting for the cyclists to reach me in a 95 mile race may not have been my favorite, but after seeing the determination of the athletes, I was impressed by their grit.
Why are the Sunflower State Games Important to Kansas?
I think it brings a lot of people together in a fun competitive activity. Watch the participants, listen to them, they are enjoying themselves and having fun. Comparing their skills against the skills of athletes of the same age, it is good for the athletes, the city of Topeka, and the State of Kansas to have this type of fun activity.
Tell Us About Yourself:
- Career: Retired Administrator of a federal mandated program for the Kansas Department of Transportation
- Hobbies: Fishing, watching KU Basketball & Softball, and OU Football
- Family: Married with 2 sons. Our youngest son Nick is married to Kelly and they have given us 3 wonderful grandkids (2 boys and 1 girl)
- Community Involvement: Former AARP Driver Instructor, Stormont Vail Cardiac Rehab - Come Back Team
The Volunteer of the Year Award is designed to recognize volunteers who exceed expectations to support and contribute to the success of the Sunflower State Games.
Previous Volunteer of the Year Recipients
- 2015: Teddy Reiser, Topeka
- 2014: Scott Cook, Topeka
- 2013: Cody Purdum, Topeka
- 2012: Alisha Wittstruck, Topeka
- 2011: Joe Saia, Topeka
- 2010: Cheryl Evans, Topeka
- 2009: Fran and Alan Hug, Topeka
- 2008: Hank Phillips, Topeka